Timeline

XII

  • Construction of new walls in Seville. (1118)
  • The Almoravids conquer Seville. The Christian bishop flees to Christian lands. (1147) 
  • The Almohad Caliphate of Abú Yaqub Yusuf began, who transferred the capital to Seville. (1163) 
  • Abu Yaqub orders the construction of the Great Mosque of Seville. (1172) 
  • The caliph Abu Yaqub dies. He is succeeded by his son Abu Yusuf Yaqub who orders the raising of the minaret (tower) of the mosque (current Giralda). (1184)
  • The works of the minaret had been paralyzed and are now resumed with brick. (1189) 
  • The minaret of the Sevillian mosque crowned by the "yamur" (4 golden spheres) is inaugurated. (1198)

XIII

  •  The Torre del Oro is built. (1220) 
  • The Sevillian mosque is transformed into the church of Santa María. (1248)
  •  The cathedral-church is dedicated to the Assumption of Mary. (1251) 
  • FERNANDO III is buried in front of the altar of the Chapel of the Kings, first of the Mudejar cathedral. (1252) 
  • The Cabildo of the cathedral creates the General School of Latin and Arabic or School of San Miguel, origin of the University of Seville. (1254)

XIV

  • An earthquake topples the "yamur" of the tower. It is replaced by a wooden belfry paid for by the king. (1356) 
  • D. Gonzalo de Mena is named archbishop of Seville (he died in 1401 and was buried in the Chapel of Santiago, inside the Cathedral). (1394) 
  • The wooden bell tower of the tower is removed, a bulrush is built on 4 pillars to hang the bell and the first public clock of Seville, placed in the Giralda, was put into operation. (1400)

XV

  • While Sevilla is without an archbishop, the canons decide on the construction of a new cathedral. (1401) 
  • The Infante Don Fernando came to the Cathedral to take the sword of the effigy of Fernando III. (1407) 
  • Lady Guiomar Manuel was buried in the mosque, lady who gave much of her fortune to the Cathedral Factory. (1426)
  •  The remains of the kings of the Royal Chapel are moved to a chapel in the Patio de los Naranjos. (1432) 
  • The king authorized the demolition of the Royal Chapel, beginning the construction of the current Cathedral. (1433) 
  • From September 1, the weekly collections of the master stonemasons are documented, among which was Maestre Carlín, who was always the senior master of the new work (1436)
  • Don Juan de Cervantes, a native of Seville and Cardinal of Ostia, was appointed apostolic administrator of the diocese of Seville. (1449) 
  • Mercadante de Bretagne ends the sepulcher of Cardinal Juan de Cervantes in the Chapel of San Hermenegildo. (1458) 
  • Last date in which Mercadante de Bretagne was mentioned in Seville after completing the sculptures on the doors of Baptism and Birth or San Miguel. (1468) 
  • The upper part of the choir is finished. Enrique Alemán begins to manufacture the first windows. (1478) 
  • The first stained glass windows are placed in the central nave. (1480)
  • The construction of the Main Altarpiece begins. (1482) • Elio Antonio de Nebrija asks permission to teach Grammar in the Chapel of the Granada of the cathedral. 1498

XVI

  • Carmona Earthquake. (1504)
  • The expansion of the Chapel of the Virgin of Antigua begins. (1504)
  • The cathedral was inaugurated on May 11. (1507) The sepulcher of Cardinal Diego Hurtado de Mendoza is placed in the Chapel of the Virgin of Antigua. (1510)
  • The primitive dome that covers the Cathedral's transept collapses. (1511)
  • The bars of the choir and the southern side of the Main Chapel are finished. (1523)
  • The High Altarpiece is finished. (1526)
  • Diego de Riaño begins the Major Sacristy. (1528)
  • The Chalices' Sacristy is finished. (1534)
  • The mausoleum of D. Baltasar del Río, Bishop of Scalas, is placed in the Chapel of Scalas. (1539)
  • The construction of the current Royal Chapel begins. (1547)
  • The Major Sacristy is finished. (1547)
  • The enlargement of the Greater Altarpiece begins. (1549)
  • Hernán Ruiz begins the construction of the Sala Capitular and the current bell tower of the Giralda. (1558)
  • Completion of the Shrine altar next to the San Cristóbal Gate. (1561)
  • Enlargement of the Greater Altarpiece concludes. (1564)
  • The works of the monumental vane, the Giraldillo, are encouraged for its conclusion. (1565)
  • The facistol of the Choir ends (1565)
  • Conclusion of the Giraldillo and the growth of the Torre bell tower. (1568)
  • Completion of the cover of the Chapel of the Virgin of Antigua. (1571)
  • The Royal Chapel and the Main Chapel are finished. (1575)
  • Transfer of the pillar with the fresco of the Virgin of Antigua to the Chapel of its name. (1578)
  • Reforms at the Puerta del Perdón. (1578)
  • Transfer of the remains of Fernando III, his wife and Alfonso X to the new Royal Chapel. (1579)
  • Juan de Arfe presents the model of his Custody to the Cabildo. (1580)
  • Termination of the Antecabildo, drawn in 1560 by Hernán Ruiz. (1583)
  • The painting of San Cristóbal is finished next to the Puerta de su nombre. (1584)
  • Completion of the Chapter Hall. (1592)

XVII

  • The current parish of El Sagrario begins to be built. (1618)
  • Alonso Cano paints the Virgin of Bethlehem, to the left of the Puerta de la Concepción (Patio de los Naranjos). (1635)
  • Parish of the Sagrario (1662) is finished
  • Canonization of King Fernando III, patron of Seville. (1671)
  • The Puerta del Sagrario or San Fernando Gate opens. (1682)

XVIII

  • The tomb of Archbishop D. Luis de Salcedo y Azcona is placed in the Chapel of the Virgin of Antigua. (1741)
  • Earthquake of Lisbon. Repairs are undertaken in the Giralda. (1755)
  • The grille of the Royal Chapel, paid by the king, is placed. (1771)

XIX

  • Goya paints Santa Justa and Santa Rufina, a painting placed in the Chapel of the Chalices. (1817)
  • The architectural part of the Puerta de la Asunción is completed. (1833)
  • The plaster model for the Portada de la Asunción was approved. (1884)
  • The tomb of Cardinal Lluch is built in the Chapel of San Laureano. (1885)
  • The left pillar of the choir collapses and is rebuilt. (1888)
  • The Puerta de San Cristóbal was finished and the construction of the Puerta de la Concepción begins as an exit to the Patio de los Naranjos. (1895)
  • The remains of Columbus arrive in Seville. (1899)

XX

  • The Columbus monument is placed in the Cathedral. (1902)
  • The current organs of the cathedral are finished. (1903)
  • The Puerta de la Concepción is finished. (1917)
  • Coronation of the Virgen de la Antigua on the occasion of the Ibero-American Exposition in Seville. (1929)
  • Restoration of the Church of the Tabernacle. (1960)
  • Electronic adaptation of the organs. (1973)
  • Pope John Paul II visits the Cathedral of Seville (1982)
  • The Cathedral of Seville is declared a World Heritage Site by UNESCO. (1987)

XXI

  • The cathedral hosts the events held in honor of the Sevillian, Mª de los Ángeles Guerrero Gonzalez, canonized by Pope John Paul II, as Santa Angela de la Cruz. (2003)
  • The restoration of the main altarpiece has been completed, after two years of work. (2014).
  • UNESCO recognizes in Paris, the exemplary management of the Metropolitan Council in charge of the liturgical and cultural activity of the cathedral (2016).

 

Source: catedraldesevilla.es