La Giralda is the ancient minaret of the mosque built before the Cathedral. Its height is 105 meters and its base has a surface of 7 square meters.
The former minaret was built to resemble the minaret of the Koutoubia mosque in Marrakech , Morocco. It was later converted into a bell tower of the cathedral after the period of the Reconquista. Its construction began in 1184 under the direction of architect Ben Ahmad Baso . According to the chronicler Ibn Sahib al-Salah, the works were completed in 1198, with the placement of four gilded bronze spheres in the upper section of the tower.